Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
After Fire Damage
If you experience the unfortunate event of a holiday fire because of Christmas lights, a family dinner gone wrong or overheated decorations, our team at SERVPRO of Portland is available to help cleanup and restore after fire damage 24/7/365, even on holidays. We have the equipment, cleaning techniques and knowledge to help you through the repair and restoration process. We will thoroughly clean smoke and soot damage.
While you wait for our emergency services, please use some of the below tips to get the cleaning and restoration process started.
Please prioritize safety before reentering the damaged property.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (207) 772-5032
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.